Saturday 18 August 2012

Urban Haat

Come monsoon and it is mela (fair) time at CIDCO's Urban Haat, Belapur, Navi Mumbai! An array of art and craft, fabrics, furniture, jewellery, pottery and other drool worthy products are on display. Ensconced in a lovely surrounding with lot of greenery, it is hard to imagine that this place is right in the middle of  a bustling suburb. With its vast area and its topography intact, one actually comes face to face with nature and the tranquil surroundings. This time, I made it a point to carry my camera and I just cannot resist sharing these pics.

The gate, right on the main road.


an interesting way the umbrellas are used to add colour to the surroundings


Warli paintings done on the large boulders that lie alongside the path.....



and an uphill walk to the shops displaying the products...



The walk inside the Urban Haat itself is so enjoyable, you want to come back again (believe me, I do it all the time). This time I came across some handmade stuff, very Indian, very beautiful and very worth your money.

These lovelies from Rajasthan waiting for their admirers to take them home...


... cannot take my eyes off these mojris..

handmade crochet frocks from hyderabad


Madhubani paintings.... the painting below depicts Sita Swayamvar

painting depicting tree of life

A full length article on Madhubani paintings would do justice to this beautiful folk art from Bihar. The artist I met was more than willing to explain his art to me. So I am in a hurry to go, armed with my camera, and will be back more enlightened.........




1 comment:

  1. Great you carried your camera.....nice pics. Wish I had been there. :)

    ReplyDelete