Monday 13 August 2012

Found objects


As a school going girl, I had this habit of collecting small pebbles, shells, shiny golden and silver paper that used to come in cigarette packets (empty thrown packets that me and my friends used to find outside), stamps, little boxes and other knick knacks….. and they all were put to good use. The pebbles and shells were used in the doll house, the silver and golden paper were used to decorate houses that I made from cardboard which I tore away from used notebooks, stamps were exchanged with friends …….. little boxes were a treasured possession, in which I used to keep small things like sequins, beads found while playing, marbles that looked beautiful, tiny stones that looked like diamonds and I guarded these treasures fiercely. And this habit of collecting things remained with me. Where ever I go, I am on lookout for small things that look different or that catch my fancy….. here are a few of them.

A little knife that I bought from a quaint shop at Ambaji in Gujarat


...a small pug mark ash tray from Corbett


aromatic candles from Mussoorie for Rs. 12/- each…. 



I picked up this small lantern with a wick from a vendor in the local train.


A chillum for smoking pot which I found in Lonavla at a potter’s shop


....... the wind slowly whispered in my ear again, have you found anything new lately…and when I searched, I realized I don't have to go too far….for things of joy lay just in front of my eyes….only I never knew how to look….







1 comment:

  1. Yes, silver foil from cigarette packets....I can so relate to that. Back in those days, we rarely 'bought' things for craft at school. We would try to use things lying around the house....
    Great collection. Keep collecting. :)

    ReplyDelete