Tuesday 28 August 2012

Kehwa

My love affair with Urban Haat still continues...... and why not! Interesting place..... nature at its best, especially during rains. It always surprises me with something unusual.....and surprise it did when my eyes were staring at a board which read "Kehwa with almonds - Rs.10/-". "Kehwa..... Kehwa..... I had heard that name somewhere but could not place what it was. I wanted to know more and went in to inquire. That's when I met these two lovely ladies.... sisters actually.... Pooja and Vasudha. They told me that it is a Kashmiri beverage..... I wanted to know more. What struck me is their openness, warmth and their willingness to share. Pooja told me that she would send me a writeup on Kehwa and as promised she did send me one......

Pooja writes.......


"Kahwah (also spelled qehwa, kehwa or kahwa) is a green tea floavoured with a mix of spices and served hot with Alomnds. In India, this traditional tea is consumed in Kashmir Valley. Even though exact origins of kehwa are still unclear, most Kashmiris believe that the aromatic traditional drink kehwa dates back to times immemorial & has been a part of local consumption for ages.
Preparing this tea specially with the Kashmiri green tea is not difficult but a little tricky. First the water is boiled with sugar and a mix of spices (cinnamon bark, cardamom pods and little black pepper). Once the water starts boiling you can smell the great aroma of these spices. The water needs to boil for some more time so that the flavours are released in the water, then the green tea is added (you just have to crush tea leaves slightly between the palms). Let the green tea brew for just about half a minute and strain the tea. Served hot with crushed almonds.
There are herbal versions of Kehwa also prepared where in green tea is not used but water is boiled with saffron. Some people even add Kashmiri rose petals to enhance the flavour.
Traditionally this tea is prepared using a metal vessel called "Samovar". This vessel has two sections, upper section for spices and green tea and the lower section for ignited coals. The tea keeps brewing and served directly from this vessel. "

Ofcourse, I had to taste it......... hmmmm.... it refreshes your senses....

The glass of Kehwa with almonds..... 


.... the aroma and the taste lingers on, long after you have had it.....


I was actually overcome with excitement when she said that she had the samovar with her....... she had polished it and I must say - what a beauty!....

..........the Samovar in which the Kehva is brewed


Pooja and Vasudha informed me that the lid used to have a decorative top which is now lost. I can just imagine how beautiful it would have been, not that it is any less now..... and oh! by the way, this one is more than 100 years old.....

The samovar when open has a small chimney-like protrusion. The ignited coal is put through this small chimney and it sits at the base to keep the beverage hot.



The intricately designed base...

I must thank Pooja and Vasudha for giving me such valuable bit of information - a slice of  Kashmiri culture. And its not just the Kehva that they serve. They also make lip-smacking Kashmiri delicacies.....

For Kashmiri gourmet cuisine you can contact Pooja and Vasudha @ pooj1011@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment